Skip to main content

Why we Must Pray

I don’t know about you, but I can be easily distracted when I’m praying. But over the years I’ve picked up some great ways to focus my prayers.... 

Here are 5 more ways I’ve learned to help me sharpen my prayers.


Write out your prayers

Often I will begin my prayer time by writing out things I’m thankful for. I write them to the Lord, almost like a letter, beginning with something like this: 


“Heavenly Father, Lord Jesus, Holy Spirit, Thank you for….” 

or “Lord Jesus, Thank you for…” 


And I go on to write things I’m grateful for. Writing my thanks keeps me focused. Sometimes I begin a time of prayer by reading past thanksgivings I’ve written. I’ve also found that writing out other prayers has been very helpful as well. As I pray the prayers I have written, I don’t restrict myself to reading them word for word, but use them as reminders.


Pray specific Bible verses

In my “family” section of my prayers, I have several Scriptures that are promises for parents about their children, like the following:

And they said, 

“Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, 

you and your household.”Acts 16:31


“And as for me, this is my covenant with them,” 

says the Lord: 

“My Spirit that is upon you, and my words that I have put in your mouth, shall not depart out of your mouth, or out of the mouth of your offspring, or out of the mouth of your children’s offspring,” says the Lord, “from this time forth and forevermore.” Is 59:21


I have been young, and now am old, 

yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread. He is ever lending generously, and his children become a blessing. Psalm 37:25–26


Often I will read these Bible verses aloud, then ask the Lord to please do what the verses say he will do. Using Scripture when we pray builds our faith, for we can know we are asking according to God’s will. I often quote Ps 32:8 when asking for wisdom. I pray something like this, 


“Father you have said in your word, 

‘I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you’; so, I ask that you would please counsel me with your eye upon me. Please show me the way I should go in this situation.”


Lately I have been quoting Matthew 7:11 in my prayers: If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

I’ll pray something like this,


 “Father, you’ve told me that you give good things to those who ask you. So, I ask that you would please heal (insert name). Healing and health are good things, so I am asking that you give them this, according to your will.”


Make lists

In addition to writing out specific prayers, I have found lists to be helpful. I have a list of people I am asking Jesus to save. I have a list of “current needs” of family and friends. Lists help me stay on track when I’m praying. I don’t pray through every list every day, and I don’t always pray through a whole list. But at least I have it written down to remind me from time to time.


Pray through the Our Father pattern

Use each phrase to trigger a “theme” for example:


“Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be your name.” Praise you that you are my Father. I praise you that you are in heaven, sovereign over all. Hallowed be your name—holy is you name. Praise you for your holiness and perfect purity and glory.

“Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” Father, please save multitudes in every nation. Please save my children and grandchildren. Please bring your kingdom rule into my neighbors’ lives, etc.

“Give us this day our daily bread.” Father, please provide for my children. Please provide for us. Father, if it would be your will, please give me…..


Pray in response to your Bible reading

Some have found praying in response to their Bible reading to be most effective for them. In your daily bible reading, stop and pray as God’s word speaks to you. 

For example, 

if you read, James 1:22, “But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves,” pray, “Lord Jesus, please help me to obey your word. Help me to “do” it, to put it into practice.” 

If you read Lamentations 3:21–23 “But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness,” pray, “Lord Jesus, thank you for your unceasing steadfast love. Thank you for your mercies that are new this morning. Praise you for your great faithfulness and unceasing love for me. Please give me more and more hope.”

How about you? 

What are some ways you have found that help you focus your prayers?



For the promotion of the Gospel of Jesus Christ [GreaterLOVE/Mark Altrogge]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W'afa m'animguase, de kɔ asennua no so - PAN 679

1. W'afa m'animguase, de kɔ asennua no so De sesaa N'anuonyam de maa me W'afa me mmusubɔ de kɔ asennua no so De sesaa abrabɔ pa de maa me Chorus: M'asomdwoe a m'anya yi Efiri asennua no so na εbaeε Masomdwoe a manya yi Efiri asennua no so na εbaeε 2. W'afa m'afodi no de kɔ asennua no so De seseaa bembu de maa me W'afa me nkoayε de kɔ asennua no so De sesaa adehyedi maa me 3. Nnebɔneyεfo a εnnε, yeanya nkwagye yi Efiri asennua no so na εbaeε ɔsoro kwan no a abue, ama yεn nnε da yi Efiri asennua no so na εbaeε PAN 679 EUNICE JOHNSON

Tithing in the Bible - Is Tithing for the New Testament Believer? - Cortni Marrazzo

A few weeks ago Cortni Marrazzo wrote an article called " Why it's Important to Keep Tithing in Tough Economic Times " and, quite frankly, he was surprised by the many follow up comments from Christians who don't believe that tithing is for today. Many expressed the belief that tithing was only done in the Old Testament and thus it shouldn't be a part of a believer's life. Their comments made me wonder:  Whether tithing is restricted to the Old Testament or not, is the practice of tithing such a bad thing for today's believer? Let's dive in and look at what the  Bible  has to say about tithing and more importantly, our heart. What is the Tithe? The word "tithe" comes from an Old English root meaning "one tenth." It is the common English translation for the Old Testament Hebrew asar word group. The tithe was an offering of one's agricultural income to the Lord as an expression of thanks and dedication. In the Old Testament agricu...

Who Decided Which Book Went into the Bible

Just about everyone wants to know how the sixty-six books got chosen to be in the Bible. Why these sixty-six? Why not a few more (or a few less)? Why these books and not others? In Persecution in the Early Church Herbert Workman tells the story of a Christian who was brought before the Roman governor of Sicily during the last great persecution of the church. His crime? Possessing a copy of the Gospels. The governor asked , “Where did these come from? Did you bring them from your home?” The believer replied, “ I have no home, as my Lord Jesus knows .” The governor asked his prisoner to read a portion of the Gospels. He chose a portion of Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount:  “Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. ” Next he read from Luke:  “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. ” At this, the judge ordered the prisoner taken away—to his death. Under Roman law new religi...